Published in the Alumni Magazine of spring 1943, Muhlenberg’s campus is seen gearing up for the arrival of nearly 500 Navy soldiers to be stationed in the summer. The center of these accommodations was The Commons, as the residential halls only needed bunk beds to accommodate the additional personnel. Two wings were added to The Commons enlarging both the kitchen area and the dining hall. A cold storage room and pantry were also added to feed the additional mouths. Needless to say, the renovation of The Commons was crucial in Muhlenberg’s to contribute to the war effort, and poised The Commons to undergo further metamorphosis in the future.